Click here to go to the Rama Navratri page
October 13,2015 to October 21, 2015--Maha Navaratri (Sharad Navaratri) mantras.
All the mantras may be chanted during navratri as many times as you like, any time from sunrise for the day to the following day's sunrise.
NEXT--Dusshera, a 21 day healing opportunity
MAHA NAVARATRI (SHARAD-NAVARATRI, DURGA-PUJA: September-October)
Who is Durga Devi?
Durga-devi is the generator and maintainer of the material universe and the universal mother form of the universe. She has many aspects, and her nine major aspects manifest during the 9 day and night navarati period, twice a year.
The September-October Navaratri is known as the 'maha' or great navaratri. This Maha Navratri or Sharad Navaratri celebrates Durga devi's destruction of the Mahishasura buffalo demon.
Devi is also known as Mahishasurmardini after this event--destroyer of the Mahisha asura (demon).
Mahishasura terrorized swarga-loka and prithvi-loka and took over the swarga planets defeating the universal administrators (devas). In her role as 'protector of the fortress' (durga-devi, 'durg' meaning fortress), she destroyed this demon and his forces in the course of the 9 days of the Maha Navratri.
What the 9 days and 9 nights of Navratri mean for all of us
As beings who live in devi-dham, the land of Durga devi, the nine nights Navratri period is an excellent opportunity to progress ourselves spiritually while living in the material zone.
We get an opportunity at this time to closely approach Durga-devi whose job it is to keep us in material illusion while she helps us to rectify our binding karma--To keep us under anesthesia (ignorance of our real state) if you will! Her blessings and permission help us to leave this zone once we have sufficient Super Karma Credits to our account.
Related article about Durga devi and the "kleem" mantra: (Opens new window)
"Durga Devi is limited to the material expansion of the universe, while 'kleem' generates spiritual energies linking one to the Supreme Divine through the grace of Yogamaya-devi..."
Durga devi or 'Maya' is Yogamaya transformed
Durga devi or Mayadevi is the shadow form of transcendental Yogamaya who is constantly meditating on Govinda, the Supreme source of all sources.
Without spiritual empowerment however, one cannot reach the transcendental world where Yogamaya helps souls to serve Govinda, and become transformed as devotees of the Lord.
With this knowledge our karma healers can approach the Navratri period for their spiritual and material benefit. Using the healing empowerment measures as taught, the Navratri period will benefit you greatly, and help you to download the energies of red, gold and silver and prosper for now and the year ahead.
Maha Navratri Procedure to be followed for the 9 days
- During this 9 day period it is recommended to avoid taking meat, fish, eggs, alcohol. Also fasting from onions, garlic, grains, lentils, legumes (beans) is recommended. If this is difficult, fasting from grains may be followed on the first and last navratri--of course following for all or most of the navratiris will benefit one the most and help us to ground negative energy and Karma sufficiently to live well.
The reason for fasting from meat etc is that special divine energies of empowerment do not reach the individual during this time if he follows a meat diet as the energy the individual radiates creates a barrier to receiving.
Fasting from grains is done because during this period the grains are accumulating and processing free-floating negative karmic energies from other living beings and the environment. This concentrated form of negative karma in grains is to be avoided because we are seeking to get rid of and heal our negative karma and free ourselves from the bondage of repeated cycles of birth, death old age and disease.
On the first day of Navratri the procedure of "Kalashsthapna" --establishing the water pot with coconut. Fill a new water pot or one that has been used for such a purpose earlier, with pure water adding gangajal or holy waters if possible. Place this in the northeast of the house/bedroom /kitchen. The pot of water with coconut is balancing and cooling as sometimes devi energies are very strong and heating.
Place this pot as described on the first Navratri before 9 am (local time) and invoke the karma healing energies, inviting the blessings of Devi for abundance and progress. Do not disturb the water pot for 9 days.
On the 9th day, after the morning puja, offerings, mantra chantings as you may do, the water from the pot can be sprinkled around the house for blessing energies and inviting good fortune.
The coconut may be placed in the sea or river or lake and if this is not possible, then it may be left under a 'peepal' tree (ficus religiosa) or any other tree.
- If kalashsthapna is not convenient, then one may mentally do the sthapna using the mystic procedures as taught in our KQ, Reiki and Amalgamated Karma healing classes.
- Offerings are also to be made to the different devi forms and aspects each day, and these also may be done following the mystic procedures as above.
- Note for our students:
Any part or all of the listed procedures may be also done mentally with appropriate invocations--please ensure you use the proper karmic healing procedures such as DRL, intention activation and so on as per the procedures in your manuals.
- First Navratri- devoted to Shailputri Devi
- Mantra to chant: "Om aim hring kleem chamundayi vichche".
For the significance of 'kleem'--see this article for Lord Brahma's authoritative statement.
Navratri commences with the first night devoted to the puja of Shailputri devi. 'Shail' means mountain and refers to Parvati, wife of Lord Shiva, the daughter of king of the mountains Himavan. Shailputri holds in her two hands a trident and a lotus. She is mounted upon a bull.
Special benediction-as all the shradh souls leave the planet this night the energies specially work on the temple (memory) chakras of all in the planet. This is a major healing of past karma and removing blocks, bestowing lilac light healing trauma emotions and thoughts.
Offering: one pomegranate in the morning before 9 am and accept as prasadam (blessings) in evening, share with others-offer candles morning and evening (after sunset). Mentally offer all fragrant flowers, fruits, gems, clothing.
Second Navratri- devoted to Bhramcharini Devi
Third Navratri- devoted to Chandraghanta Devi
- Mantra to chant: "Om doom durgaya namah".
- Bhramcharni devi is a store-house of knowledge and wisdom. Rudraksha is her most dear ornament. One hand holds a "Kumbha" or water pot and the other rosary beads of rudraksh.
- Offering: two apples before 9:00 am and a candle/lamp to Bhramcharini devi morning and evening (after sunset); accept and share the apples in the evening with others. Mentally offer all fragrant flowers, fruits, gems, clothing.
Fourth Navratri- devoted to Kushmanda Devi
- Mantra to chant:
"Om sarva mangal mangalye shive sarvarath sadhike,
Sharanye triambake gauri narayani namostute."
- Chandraghanta devi sits on a tiger, and radiates a golden hue. She manifests ten hands and three eyes. Eight hands display weapons while the remaining two are giving blessings and protection.
- We see expansion of red energies with pink lightning flashes going directly to the spinal column to strengthen to all activities, activate root chakra (mooladhara); activating birth/growth of new activities; opening of the heart chakra begins. Semicircular spiral energies of navy blue create movement in the spiritual and material zone for all auspicious, karma-freeing work.
As you pray and meditate, there will be a feeling of satisfaction as all solar plexus chakras are being freed from greed. Beautiful droplets of nectar are replacing the poison as the uncoiling serpents are sucking it away.
- Offering: Three bananas in the morning, light a candle morning-evening, accept and share banana prasadam with others. Mentally offer all fragrant flowers, fruits, gems, clothing.
Send all the negative thoughts to the center of the earth, as all energy today will bring power to the lower limbs. Remember to offer something to mother earth – milk, money, water, fertilizer.
Fifth Navratri- devoted to Skandmata Devi
Sixth Navratri- devoted to Kaatyayani Devi
- Mantras to chant: "Om hreeng mahadurgaya namah", and -- "Om nityaya namah". Each may be chanted separately not as one following the other in alternation.
- Devi Skandmata holds her son Skand in her lap and sits on a lion. She manifests three eyes and four hands--two hands hold lotuses while the other hands offer protection and blessings.
- Offering: Five bunches of grapes (you can separate a large bunch into smaller ones); offer candles morning-evening; accept and share the grapes in the evening with others. Mentally offer all fragrant flowers, fruits, gems, clothing and remember to thank all your friends, family and enemies for giving their help in freeing you from blinding Karma by their association.
Seventh Navratri- devoted to Kaalratri Devi
- Mantra to chant: "Om hreeng katyayini namah".
- Katyayani Devi- a manifestation of Sri Laxmi-ji appeared as the daughter of rishi Katyayan and did penance for the purpose of getting Krishna as her husband. Her name means daughter of Sage Katyayan. Golden colored, she sits astride a lion and manifests three eyes and four arms. In two of her hands she holds a weapon and a lotus and with the other two she blesses and protects.
- Offering: Offer six guavas in the morning and accept in the evening as prasadam and share with others. Offer candle/lamp morning-evening. Mentally offer all fragrant flowers, fruits, gems, clothing, sweets and payasam.
- Mantra to chant: "Durga kshama shiva dhaatri svaha svadhaa Namostute"
- Kaalratri Devi has grey-black skin, flowing dark hair, manifests four hands--she holds a khadag (cleaver) and a burning torch, and the other two hands are protecting and blessing. She sits on a donkey.
- Offering: Seven "cheekoo" fruits (sapota or mud apple) in the morning; accept and share in the evening, offer candle/lamp morning and evening. Mentally offer all fragrant flowers, fruits, gems, clothing.
Eighth Navratri- devoted to Mahagauri Devi
Mantra to chant: "Om nitya buddhaya namah".
Ninth Navratri- devoted to Siddhiratri Devi
- Mahagauri the most fair, manifests as beutiful young girl with four arms radiating peace and compassion, she is often dressed in a white or green sari. Mahagauri holds a drum and a trident and rides a bull.
- Offering: Eight Custard apples-(shareefa, also known as sitaphal); accept as blessings in the evening and share with others; offer candle/lamp morning-evening. Mentally offer all fragrant flowers, fruits, gems, clothing. Definitely remember to offer coconut, Kumkum and Haldi (turmeric) to married women, money and food to young girls.
More information about the spiritual seed mantra-kleem.
NEXT--Dusshera, a 21 day healing opportunity
Return to Home Page from Navratri
Read more about Shradh that precedes Maha-Navratri